Thursday, June 26, 2008

Presbyterian Junior College

The opening at Presbyterian Junior College was for a Chaplain. I taught Bible, Psychology and German.This was like sunrise after a long sleepless night. The move to Laurinburg was a happy time for both of us- our own home,new friends, and a less stressful occupation. I enjoyed my work and friends at PJC. You were also included in many of the functions. The move to St Andrews was very uplifting for me. I also had access to the Swimming Pool to begin a real exercise program. I could see the handwriting on the wall and knew I would be ousted. I scheduled my classes so that I could go to the University of Richmond to take that one course that I had to drop. The Department head was a close friend of mine at John Marshall. I was forced to do pulpit supply work every Sunday in order to make ends meet. The second year this was eased as you went to work again at Covington Street School. You had some happy times in your work and made some special friends. You had some help with Stella, but she was not very good. These were hard years for you and you did not have a very understanding husband.
After two years at St. Andrews I was informed in a letter that I would not receive tenure because I did not have doctorate. I was moved to the Guidance Center. Dr Gwyn was in charge and Bob Urie worked from a wheel chair. He was a victim of polio and was permanently paralized. My most enjoyable experiences was playing Bridge with friends. I completed my course at the University of Richmond and worked on my Thesis for the degree at the Guidance Center. I selected to do the vocational pattern for the Presbyterian Ministry. The ministers came to the Center with their students and it was convenient for them to join in the desired testing. This also gave me a good sample of ministers in various sized pastorates. I did 100 with ability tests, interest inventories, and special area tests. The committee was pleased with my Thesis - The Occupational Pattern fo The Presbyterian Ministry. I received my Master’s Degree in Psychology.
I heard about a teaching position at Pembroke State College about twenty miles away from Laurinburg. They had an accredidation examination by the Southern Association. Since they did not have a Professor in the Education Department with a Psychology degree, I was welcomed to the faculty. The remarkable part was the keeping of my Associate Professor title and did not have to start at the bottom.