Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ellen

I have been thinking about my future wife. The relationship began with an outing in the Ginter Park Young Adult group. Mary Hood somehow had a list of the Seminary entering class. She called me in Bon Air and directed me to pick Ellen up along with several others. We drove in my old Chevrolet with her beside me, to Massanetta. Most of our dates were with outings with the Young Adult where we got to know all the bunch. I remember going with Ellen to Tobacco Road and several Loewes movies. I remember well the library sofa and the trips out to Howard Johnsons. I remember well Ellen's summer school at UNC and my field work at Kenly. Every Friday and Saturday were great. I remember the back and forth letters and my spelling surprise with a Z. I remember the engagement and the wedding. Mitch was Best Man and Lawrence was just there to tell me how to act on the honeymoon. I remember well the train ride to New York City. I remember the beautiful experiences as we saw the City at Christmas, the Rocketts and the Play Carousel. Then back to our little apt. with eggplant purple floors. I remember the Tuna Fish dish that you knew so well and served often. I remember quite well that question: would buying a car be a good way to spend a savings account. You also brought home the check each month. The old Chevvy was gone and the new Chevvy adorned the driveway. My Field Work for the summer was a day camp at Byrd Park. I also had a little garden at Mission Court. You brought home the check for the next year. I remember Dr Fitzgerald had told you that you had a Tilted Uterus which would make it hard to get pregnant. We began to try in May and you conceived the first time. We moved to Kannapolis with a minimum of furniture. Lawrence sent us a refrigerator and washing machine. We gradually bought the furniture. Some of it we still have today. Ellen, I remember your struggle with morning sickness in a house without air conditioning. Mary Ann came on a Saturday night, and I had to preach the next morning
The birth process had its problems. You had a torn vagina and the doctor wanted to use surgery to to repair you. Henry Pitts told me about this doctor’s reputation for using the knife. I talked to Oren Moore the pastor in Concord and he gave me name of a doctor in Concord. He examined Ellen but felt that it would in time heal on its own. What a joy to escape the knife.